Visions follow a similar vein of dreams, as they both come by the same spirit. As mentioned before, sometimes visions occur while you are asleep, others while awake. What is a vision? Vision comes from the same root as visual, meaning something which you see. This is why a vision can occur while awake or asleep. These are not things seen with the natural, but the spiritual eye. Our spiritual eye is directly behind our physical. They are in precisely the same position, and of the same form and purpose. However, in order to see with our spiritual eyes, we must be purified. Seers are those who see what the natural eye cannot. Seership is a gift, not an office. There is a progression of day-visions, just as there are of night-visions. Day-visions are as follows,
- Day-Dreams: These can occur with your eyes open or closed, but come as flashes of images. They are more than just thoughts, or day-dreaming about the beach. These are actual spiritual revelations, but are cloudy, faint even, and when you experience them, it requires great concentration to keep them going. They easily fade away as the wind blowing smoke. A friend of mine was sitting on her couch, pondering on the Savior. As she laid her head back looking up, she saw the image of Christ’s face in agony as he atoned for her. It was only there a moment, but it left a powerful impression on her.
- Mind’s Eye: These occur almost exclusively with your eyes wide open. You will still probably be aware of your surroundings, but you are seeing a real picture. This too can fade easily if not focused on, but it is more clear, and more powerful upon you. You still perceive with your physical senses, but you are also seeing with your spiritual eye. The mind’s eye, is your spirit eyes. This is what Paul referred to when seeing through a glass darkly (1 Corinthians 13:12). The reason these images are not as clear as our physical sight, is because we are not as used to focusing with our spiritual eyes.
- Visions: When you experience these, you will lose all perception of your surroundings. All of your focus in sight, hearing, thought and touch, will be on what you are now viewing. This is what Joseph Smith and Sydney Rigdon went through when receiving the vision now recorded as Doctrine and Covenants 76.
- Translations: These are “out of body experiences”, just as in the dream state. But this is something which occurs while awake, and makes you appear to be sleeping or dead. Your spirit may very well have left your body at this time. This is what Isaiah experienced (Ascension of Isaiah) and Ammon and King Lamoni with his court (Alma 19).
- Face to Face Visitations: This is the second half to what Paul said in his letter to the assembly at Corinth, “but then face to face”. These include visits of angels while you are in your natural flesh, and visits of the Son and holy spirits. This is what the Nephites experienced when Christ came to minister to them in the flesh (3 Nephi 11).
I have found dreams to be the opening gateway to receiving day-visions. As I received more visions of the night and increased in faith to receive such things, I was also able to open the spiritual realm when awake. I have not been as Moses who spent weeks in heaven speaking with God face to face, yet I have received a portion of light for which I am most grateful. Continue in faith brothers and sisters, and you too may attain to the visions of the ancients. It is by men achieving the same visions now that the ancients did then, that proves their authenticity.
How then do we achieve visions?
Continue in fasting and prayer, meditation of the word of God, and by holy living. If you do those things, they will come naturally from the Father. You do not need to force yourself into the spiritual realm. Technically you are already in the spiritual realm, you just do not comprehend it. Learn to think, hear and see in the spirit; not with your natural eyes. This is why I have found it to be easier to achieve night-visions, as my flesh does not distract me from focusing.
The prophet Sadhu was once asking this same question in prayer to God, who responded by sending his Son Yeshua who said, “My word abiding in them, will cause them to see me”. Your foundation must be on the Word of God. Otherwise you will be tossed about with every wind of doctrine and every spirit that whispers in your ear. God’s Word is the foundation. From there, seek further light to build upon that. Those who seek to place their foundation on visions, are often easily deceived. Be built on the Word, and the revelations that follow will carry you further, even until you come unto the throne of God.
If you place the words of men (whether they claim to be a prophet or scientist or psychologist or anything else) above the words of God, you will NEVER rise to behold the glory of God. You will wander in the great and spacious building and will mock those who cling to the rod. You will suppose yourself righteous and will follow man made religion. You will one day come before God and will be ashamed before him, though you suppose you follow him now. In short, you will be damned. The Holy Spirit gives me the authority say so.